Create Special Memories this Summer!
Do the summer holidays slip by before you have a chance to really celebrate them? Are the summer months so full you don’t have time to sit back and relax?
If you answered yes to either of these questions, then this wonderful book will brighten your family’s summer.
Summer Countdown has family-friendly stories and activities for five summer holidays:
- Mother’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Flag Day
- Father’s Day
- Independence Day
Imagine your family reading a heart-warming holiday story and then participating in a fun activity together during the summer months. This will be made simple for you with Summer Countdown! The book is broken up into daily sections. Each day has a story and an activity that will take about 30 to 45 minutes.
Some of the stories included are:
- “Earning the Flag” by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey
- “Emily Geiger’s Ride” by Benson John Lossing
- “An Escape from a Prison Ship” by Everett Titsworth Tomlinson
- “John Paul Jones” by Albert Blaisdell
- “Letter to His Son” by Theodore Roosevelt
- “The Only Son of His Mother” by Florence Morse Kingsley
- “The Parshley Celebration” by Sarah Orne Jewett
- “The Prodigal Son” retold by Jesse Lyman Hurlbut
Most of the stories in this book were written in the 1800s and early 1900s. Some of the language may seem old fashioned, but this only adds to their charm! Many of these stories have not been reprinted since their first publication, and are just waiting to be rediscovered by a whole new generation. Summer Countdown will appeal to any age group, but children ages 6-14 will enjoy it the most. Each story can be used to teach important lessons to your children. Reading aloud as a family will open up wonderful opportunities for discussions and conversations.
The activities include:
- Patriotic Songs
- Short biographies of the Signers of the Declaration
Countdown to Summer is one book in the Countdown Series. See all four!